Saturday, May 16, 2015

Continuing from The Lady is Blue for Weekend Writing Warriors

Welcome to another Sunday with Weekend Writing Warriors. We share snippets from our stories. Here are nine lines from my first science fiction novel, The Lady is Blue. 

What you need to know: The alien Atrapako have colored scales to mark their class. Sa Kamizan is a Blue male, and Dr. Lucy Stannis is a human scientist, studying the Atrapako. She is learning about their class structure. Here, the other Atrapako are following Sa Kamizan out of the meadow. 


I see you are at the head of your loyal troops, your Excellency,” she jested. Then she saw the distress in his eyes. 
“I do not wish for it,” he said quietly. They walked on together silently, until he said, “You are not white, Lucy.”
“Really! Well, goodbye.” Lucy ran off through the trampled grass. When she looked back, Sa Kamizan was staring in her direction. She flipped cartwheels out of sheer joy, hoping the Atrapako were still watching. 

This concludes the Chapter of The Lady is Blue, and next week I hope to entertain you with excerpts from my WIP. 



Buy Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1N951Q  

The ebook is on sale for 99c this month. 
Another story (SF+Paranormal) is free 5/16

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SJE7O30

Please return to  WeWriWa and check out the other posts. 

16 comments:

  1. Cartwheels, eh? I wonder if she's overjoyed to get away from him or to have met him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet he's wondering what he said. Or if she'll be back. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knows what he said. He didn't know she was so athletic.

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued. By his comment, and what it might mean within his caste system that her color doesn't match who he perceives her to be....

    And I'm really curious about the cartwheels....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be curious to know what white is in this society. What makes one white (beyond the obvious color), and why does not being this inspire her to tease them more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious about white too. It must be a desirable thing, although as Eden commented, how do you define it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Classed by color of scales...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cartwheels seem like an odd reaction to any remark, for an adult scientist, but I guess the complete unexpectedness of her actions gives them power! And shows her self cnfidence. Fascinating snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she aimed to shock. The aliens believe humans are weak.

      Delete
  8. Intriguing - and love the thought of cartwheels - although I could never do one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do cartwheels as a child. Partly, the point is that the aliens think she is small and puny.

      Delete
  9. Well, that was unexpected. I'm very curious as to what prompted this response. It certainly is entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will discover that she is full of surprises.
      He has a few, but doesn't reveal them with such panache.

      Delete